Men Survive Scare, Hold On 79-77; Women Fall 87-57

Men Survive Scare, Hold On 79-77; Women Fall 87-57

Buckhannon, W.Va. – The Women's and Men's teams faced off in first round action of the Mountain East Conference tournament Tuesday evening.  The Women had to travel to a tough fifth seeded Fairmont State Falcon team while the Men hosted an Urbana Blue Knight team that had nothing to lose as the 12th seed.

The Women's season would come to a bitter end with a 87-57 defeat at the hands of the Falcons.  The loss that ends the Bobcats season leaves them 2-27, 0-25 in the MEC.  It also marks the end of the career for senior Morgan Hobbs as she was the lone upperclassman on the roster.  The Falcons controlled things from the tip as five players reached double figures in a well balanced attack.  They would use a 48-21 halftime advantage to cruise to the 30 point victory.

Wesleyan would be led by Brittany Williams as she collected 16 points and eight rebounds.  Courtney Small would also find double figures with 14 as she connected on 4-7 three pointers helping the 'Cats to their 57 point tally.  Just too much in the end, however, would leave Wesleyan on the wrong end of the 87-57 final.

The Men would survive a scare from the Blue Knights as they would cling to a two point, 79-77, victory.  The Bobcats were led by the hot first half shooting of Brett Ervin as he scored 21 of his game high 27 to help Wesleyan accrue a 44-35 lead at the break.  The Bobcats would control much of the first half but never able to put the Blue Knights out of reach.  A feisty Urbana team would close an early second half lead to tie the game twice and even hold a three point lead, 65-62, with 7:28 left in the game.  But senior, and recent First Team All-MEC member, T.J. Thompson would not let that happen as he canned two free throws and knocked down a trey to help the Bobcats reclaim the lead. 

Urbana would tie the game once more with ten seconds remaining on two Danny Goins free throws but a quick push down the floor by Aleksandar Djordjevic and timeout would set up an out-of-bounds played that freed Thompson and allowed him to attack the basket where he was fouled with 1.5 seconds left on the clock.  He, as he's done so many times this year, made both foul shots and gave the Bobcats the two point lead.  The Blue Knights would look for one desperation hurl at the buzzer from 3/4 court but it wasn't meant to be.

With the victory the Men will play the 4th seed Fairmont State Falcons Friday evening at 8:15pm at the Charleston Civic Center.