Late Collapse Dooms Wesleyan in 93-71 Loss to Notre Dame

Late Collapse Dooms Wesleyan in 93-71 Loss to Notre Dame

SOUTH EUCLID (Ohio) – The West Virginia Wesleyan men's basketball team let a key game slip away from them Thursday night against the Notre Dame Falcons in a Mountain East Conference contest.

Wesleyan owned a 38-35 lead at the half, but was outscored by a 58-33 margin in the second half en route to a 93-71 loss.

Both teams entered the game with identical 8-9 MEC records. The game was a huge opportunity for Wesleyan to make a move up the standings in hopes of hosting a first-round MEC Tournament contest.

The 'Cats and Falcons were tied for eighth place in the MEC which is the last spot to host a first-round game.

The win moved Notre Dame up to seventh in the league standings with a 9-9 conference mark and a 13-11 overall mark.

Wesleyan fell to ninth in the league as they are now 8-10 in the conference and own a 10-14 mark overall.

Tanner McGrew paced Wesleyan with 22 points and seven rebounds while Chris Dewberry added 19 points and two assists.

Austin Shell (pictured) was the other Bobcat to reach double-digits coming off the bench to record 14 points and nine rebounds.

Dewberry darted inside for a lay-up and Garrett Grantham unleashed a three-pointer to give Wesleyan an early 5-0 lead.

A Dewberry trey extended Wesleyan's early lead to nine, at 17-8, with 10:41 showing on the first-half clock.

Over the next six minutes, Notre Dame outscored Wesleyan by a 15-8 margin to close to within two, at 25-23, with five minutes remaining in the half.

Wesleyan would nurse a 38-35 lead at the intermission.

Another Dewberry three put Wesleyan ahead by six, at 52-46, with 14:15 showing on the clock.

Notre Dame went on a 10-0 run over the next minute to take a 56-52 lead. Wesleyan committed three straight turnovers in that span.

Dewberry finally ended the run with a trey that brought Wesleyan back to within one at 56-55.

Two McGrew free throws kept Wesleyan down by one at 61-60 at the 10-minute mark.

A Grantham lay-up kept Wesleyan only down by two, at 69-67, at the 6:13 mark, but Notre Dame would start to pull away at this point.

Notre Dame went on an 11-0 run to take a commanding 80-67 lead with 4:47 remaining.

McGrew would stop the run with a short jumper that made it an 80-69 game, but the Falcons outscored Wesleyan by a 13-4 count to close out the game.

Wesleyan shot the ball at a very good 55.3 percent but allowed Notre Dame to shoot the ball at a 58.3 percent clip.

Wesleyan trailed by a 27-24 margin in rebounding.

The Bobcats will return to action this Saturday when they host Urbana in a MEC tilt at 4 p.m.