Wesleyan Wins Wild 86-84 OT Contest with Charleston

Wesleyan Wins Wild 86-84 OT Contest with Charleston

CHARLESTONClay Todd turned in a rare four-point play with seven seconds remaining in the overtime period to lift West Virginia Wesleyan to a thrilling 86-84 victory over the University of Charleston Golden Eagles today in a Mountain East Conference outing.

Trailing 83-82, Todd unleashed his three-pointer from the baseline in front of the Wesleyan bench. His shot was good and he was fouled by Charleston's Lejavius Johnson.

Todd made the free throw to complete the four-point play and give Wesleyan an 86-83 lead with nine seconds remaining.

Todd finished the game with 11 points.

Charleston misfired on a three-point attempt with three seconds left, but pulled down the rebound and was fouled.

Keir Anderson made the first throw but missed second one on purpose. Justin Coleman pulled down the rebound and put up a last second desperation shot that clanked off the iron.

While Todd was the hero in overtime, it was senior guard Mo Berchie (pictured) who was the hero during regulation.

Berchie scored a team-high 34 points and hit the shot that put the game in overtime. 

With Wesleyan trailing 79-76, Berchie hit a trey with seven seconds remaining to force the overtime period. His trey capped off a 10-2 run.

The victory ended a five-game losing streak for the Bobcats.

They are now 6-9 overall and 3-6 in the MEC.

Wesleyan controlled play in the first 10 minutes of the first half as they had their biggest lead of the game, at 11, at 17-6.

Over the next six minutes, the momentum flipped to Charleston who went on a 21-8 run to take their first lead of the game, at 27-25.

The half ended with Charleston holding a 32-29 advantage.

The Golden Eagles started the second half the way they finished the first half as they built a nine-point lead after four minutes of action, taking a 46-37 advantage.

Down 54-46, Wesleyan started to chip away at the lead.

Jalen Melvin made a jumper, Berchie darted inside for a lay-up and then made a jumper to cap off a 6-0 run that made it a 54-52 with 10 minutes remaining.

A Berchie jumper at the 5:28 mark finally returned the lead to Wesleyan, at 61-60.

Charleston went on a 17-8 run over the next five minutes to take a 77-69 with 36 seconds remaining.

Wesleyan provide a wild finish to the game.

Berchie cut into the lane for a lay-up to make it a 77-71 game, but Charleston made one of two at the line to make it a 78-71 contest with 25 seconds remaining.

Kevin Kangni hit a high-pressure three-pointer for Wesleyan to make it a 78-74 game.

Todd had a steal on the press and turned it into a lay-up to cut it the deficit to 78-76 with 11 seconds remaining.

Charleston made one of two at the line again before Berchie tied the game with this three-pointer.

The overtime period was a back-and-fourth affair before Todd hit his game winner.

Kangni added 15 points in the win while Fred Brondsted chipped in eight.

Wesleyan shot 52.3 percent after making 34 of their 65 field goal attempts.

Wesleyan was outrebounded by a 42-34 margin.

Berchie had a game-high seven rebounds.

The loss dropped Charleston to 9-6 overall and 3-6 in the MEC.

Today's game was the first game for the Charleston men that was played in their new Wehrle Athletic Arena.

Wesleyan will return to action this Monday as they travel to West Virginia State for a 7:30 p.m. tip.