Wesleyan Upset on the Road By Concord, 81-70

Wesleyan Upset on the Road By Concord, 81-70

ATHENS – The West Virginia Wesleyan Bobcats suffered an upset at the hands of the last place team in the Mountain East Conference today, dropping an 81-70 decision to the Concord Mt. Lions.

The upset loss snapped a three-game winning streak for Wesleyan.

It was just the third conference win of the season for Concord as they improved to 7-15 overall and 3-13 in the league.

Wesleyan fell back to the .500 mark with an 11-11 record overall and an 8-8 conference mark.

Wesleyan could have moved up to fifth in the conference with a win after Notre Dame lost to Charleston today.

The game started out well enough for Wesleyan.

Luke Layhew started the scoring with a lay-up, and a after a dunk by Concord, Layhew made another lay-up and Kevin Kangni went inside for two points as Wesleyan built a 6-2 lead.

It was Wesleyan's biggest lead of the game.

A Clay Todd three-pointer treated Wesleyan to a 9-6 lead, but Concord rattled off the next nine points to take a 15-9 avantage.

Mo Berchie (pictured) drained a trey to end the run and make it a 15-12 game with 9:23 left in the opening half.

Concord built a 10-point lead, at 28-18, but Layhew turned in an old-fashioned three-point play and Kangni uncorked a three-pointer to bring the Bobcats to within four, at 28-24, with 3:12 remaining.

Following a Concord basket, Kangni made another three-pointer, Berchie downed a jumper and Layhew capped off a 7-0 run with a lay-up to give Wesleyan a 31-30 advantage.

Babe Murphy made a lay-up at the buzzer for Concord to give the Mt. Lions a 32-31 lead at the break.

A pair of Berchie free throws at the 17:24 mark tied the game at 37-37, but things began to go south for Wesleyan after that.

Concord went on a 13-2 run to take a 50-39 lead before Fred Brondsted unleashed a three-pointer to keep Wesleyan down by eight, at 50-42, with 14:14 remaining.

Brondsted fired in another trey, and after a Concord lay-up, Berchie and Layhew both scored lay-ups to bring Wesleyan back to within three, at 52-49, with 12:17 left in the game.

With Wesleyan down by just two, at 55-53, Concord went on an 8-0 run to take a 63-53 advantage with eight minutes remaining.

Berchie ended the run with a lay-up to make it a 66-58 game, but Wesleyan couldn't get any closer than those eight points in the final six minutes of the game.

Layhew led the Bobcat offense with 19 points while Berchie added 15 and Brondsted scored 14.

Wesleyan went 27-for-56 on their field goal attempts for a 48.2 shooting percentage.

Wesleyan was outrebounded by a 34-25 margin.

The Bobcats will play again this Thursday when they host the University of Charleston in a MEC clash.

Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.