Wesleyan Drops a 20-13 Lacrosse Decision Shepherd

Wesleyan Drops a 20-13 Lacrosse Decision Shepherd

SHEPHERDSTOWN – A poor final 10 minutes of the first half were costly to the West Virginia Wesleyan Lady Bobcats as they dropped a 20-13 decision to the Shepherd Rams in a Mountain East Conference contest today.

Shepherd was up by just one at the 10-minute mark, but scored six of the final seven goals of the opening half to take a 13-7 lead at the break.

Wesleyan could never get any closer than five goals in the second half.

The loss lowered the Lady Bobcat record to 4-7 overall and 1-2 in the MEC.

Natalie Schaffner gave Wesleyan a 1-0 lead just 2:15 in the game with a goal with the assist going to Madison Duvall.

Shepherd scored 90 seconds later, but Caitlyn Baicar (pictured) scored on a free position shot to treat Wesleyan to a 2-1 lead.

The Rams tied it again, but Duvall scored the first of her four goals to give Wesleyan a 3-2 advantage with 22:01 left in the opening half.

It was the last lead Wesleyan would hold as Shepherd scored the next four goals over the following three minutes as they grabbed a 6-3 lead at the 18:25 mark.

Wesleyan scored the next two goals as Duvall put in an unassisted goal and Schaffner scored an unassisted goal to bring the Lady Bobcats to within one, at 6-5 with 14 minutes showing on the clock.

Shepherd extended their lead to 7-5, but Hannah Antonelli tallied an unassisted goal to make it a one-goal game again at 7-6.

That is when Shepherd took control of the game, scoring six of the final seven goals of the first half.

Kim Lubic scored the lone Wesleyan goal in the final 10 minutes.

Wesleyan scored three of the first five goals in the second half.

Picking up the Wesleyan goals were Duvall, Antonelli and Katie Kennedy.

That made it a 15-10 game with 15:33 remaining.

Shepherd scored the next two goals to take their biggest lead of the game at seven, at 17-10, with 14:54 left.

Baicar made it a 17-11 game with an unassisted goal but Shepherd scored 30 seconds later to remain up by seven.

The game remained at 18-12 for the next six minutes until Wesleyan scored twice within a minute at the 4:33 mark.

Duvall and Lubic both scored on free position shots to make it an 18-13 contest.

Shepherd put the game away with two goals in the final minute of action.

Duvall led the Wesleyan offense with four goals while Lubic, Baicar, Schaffner and Antonelli each getting two goals.

Shepherd owned a 32-19 margin in shots-on-goal.

Wesleyan keeper Lauren Granville turned away 12 shots.

Shepherd was called for 34 fouls while Wesleyan was whistled for 19.

Wesleyan will be off for a week as they return to action next Friday against the University of Charleston at noon.


File photo courtesy of Peter Galarneau Jr.